Saturday, March 21, 2009

American Express Loves Me. American Express Loves Me Not.

Dear American Express,

Which is it? Do you want me or not?

It seems like every other day you send me pre-approved credit card applications. It's so striking because other than your non-stop solicitations that go straight from my mailbox to the shredder, the stream is dry. Credit just doesn't flow like it use to.

Maybe this is why you sent me an email yesterday stating that you reduced the credit line of the one card of yours I already have. I heard about credit card companies doing this, and even if it is becoming commonplace, I nevertheless took offense. My credit is SPOTLESS, and since I haven't used your card in years, I don't think you should treat me like a credit risk.

So I canceled my card. I was rather impressed with how easy it was to do. It's all handled through the robo-system, no need to talk to an actual human being.

(Personally, I almost always think it's best to handle any kind of cancellation in person. At the very least, you should want to know why people are leaving. That's business intelligence. It's customer insight that can help you manage and improve retention. If I was a high-value customer, then you'd want a person there to convince me to stay. Perhaps there is no such thing as a high-value customer in the credit card business anymore...)

So farewell, at least until Monday, when you'll send more offers–and ultimately more direct mail money and recycling–my way.

-joanie

No comments: